Destined to SOAR.
This interview series is aimed at celebrating, recognising and promoting the incredible talent and ferocious courage of our young women of tomorrow. Let's recognise the magnificent effort of girls' in sport across all codes! Today our interview is with youth sensation Stevie Reichelt.
Soar Active had the privilege to catch up with Stevie and chat about her love for BMX Riding.
1. Stevie, tell us about your early life?
Stevie: I was born in Mackay and then we moved to Moranbah. I hung out with mum till I went to school.
2. So how did you discover BMX riding?
Stevie: My dads work friend told us about it. So we went to the come and try day at our local track.
3. What was your next step?
Stevie: I didn’t really know how to ride a bike when I first started BMX so I kept practising. Now I can ride a bike fast and it’s really fun.
4. How do you balance competitive training and managing school?
Stevie: I ride to and from school every day, have coaching or gates practice once a week, race once a week and sometimes go to the BMX track on the weekend while dad does the mower.
5. What do you do in your downtime?
Stevie: I like to play with my friends, watch my phone, make up dances and sing.
6. What makes you feel happy, brave, and strong?
Stevie: Exercising and riding my bike makes me feel brave and strong. And BMX and my friends make me happy.
7. Tell us about a special moment in the last year?
Stevie: Going to Cairns with my family and racing in my first State Titles. I came 4th in Queensland. Cairns was so fun we did so many activities there.
8. What is your ultimate goal?
Stevie: My biggest goal is to keep riding faster and win an A plate next year in Perth for Nationals. This year I fell at nationals and broke my hand.
9. What's your favourite attribute about yourself?
Stevie: I love how patient and kind I am.
10. Favourite song on repeat right now?
Stevie: Falling In Reverse – Last Resort
11. What has BMX riding taught you about life?
Stevie: That’s its okay if you don’t come first as long as you are having fun.
12. Who is someone that inspires you?
Stevie: Jesse Asmus because he is a good BMX rider and he is very kind.
12. What would you say to other young females about following their dreams?
Stevie: Never ever give up on the dream that your chasing!
Follow her incredible journey on Instagram