Destined to SOAR.
This interview series is aimed at celebrating, recognising and promoting the incredible talent and ferocious courage of our young women of tomorrow.
Let's recognise the magnificent effort of girls' in sport across all codes!
Today our interview is with Youth Sensation Karys Winter. Soar Active had the privilege to catch up with Karys Winter and chat about her love for Tumbling and Dance.
1. Karys, tell us about your early life?
Karys: I started dance at age of two and developed a passion for it straight away.
2. So how did you discover Tumbling?
Karys: I started tumbling and acro when I was eight and found that I had a natural talent for flipping.
3. What was your next step?
Karys: I started the Acrobatic Arts for Dance syllabus, which is a specific program for inserting tumbling and acro tricks into dance. Now I also assistant teach three acro classes a week.
4. How do you balance your competitive training and managing school?
Karys: I have to be very disciplined with my time and use breaks to get homework done. I am also doing my Cert 3 in dance this year, which is every Saturday afternoon. I make sure I am using my spare time wisely.
5. What do you do in your downtime?
Karys: I love to bake and play with my puppy Chester and hang out with my friends.
6. What makes you feel happy, brave, and strong?
Karys: Achieving a new advanced skill and doing really well in my dance exams.
7. Tell us about a special moment in the last year?
Karys: I received the third highest mark of all students in all of Australia for my Intermediate AICD ballet exam, and achieved a perfect score of 100% for my jazz exam, and was awarded the mark of Honours With Distinction.
8. What is your ultimate goal?
Karys: I would love to teach dance and specialised workshops.
9. What's your favourite attribute about yourself?
Karys: I am a good friend
10. Favourite song on repeat right now?
Karys: Heaven by Niall Horan
11. What has Tumbling taught you about life?
Karys: To keep trying! In tumbling, you fail many times before you succeed. If you persevere, take your teacher’s advice and just keep trying, you will succeed
12. What would you say to other young females about following their dreams?
Karys: Go for it! The sky is the limit and never be afraid to try.
Follow Karys Winters amazing journey on Instagram